The popular Physical Property Measurement System (PPMS) from Quantum Design is now available in a truly cryogen-free package. The PPMS DynaCool, Quantum Design’s latest development effort, uses a single two-stage Pulse Tube cooler to cool both the superconducting magnet and the temperature control system, providing a low vibration environment for sample measurements. Utilizing a new approach to cryocooler equipment design, the PPMS DynaCool employs a unique 4He-based gas flow control system that gives you the rapid temperature cycling and accurate temperature control that you have come to expect from a PPMS.
The PPMS DynaCool also comes standard with an integrated Cryopump used to pump out the sample space to a vacuum of < 10-4 Torr. This makes the PPMS DynaCool compatible with all the available options, or any other user-designed experiments, right out of the box!
PPMS DynaCool Features
- No need for liquid cryogens
- Temperature range of 1.8 K – 400 K
- 9 tesla and 14 tesla magnets available
- Continuous Low-Temperature Control – maintains temperatures below 4.2 K and offers smooth temperature transitions when warming and cooling through 4.2 K
- Controlled temperature Sweep Mode
- Fully automated operation of available PPMS applications/options
- Built-in Cryopump for high vacuum applications
- New electronics built using CAN architecture for improved reliability
- Standby mode conserves power while requiring only a short recovery time
PPMS Magnet Options
- Select from 7, 9, 14 and 16 tesla magnets.
- Or order a system with no magnet and add a magnet when needed.
- A split-coil 7 tesla transverse magnet is also available.
Integrated DynaCool Measurement Applications
Low Temperature Stages
Helium-3 Refrigerator Option
- Continuous operation down to 0.5 K
- Compatible with Heat Capacity, Electrical Transport and DC Resistivity measurements
Dilution Refrigerator Option
- Continuous operation from 4 K down to 50 mK
- Compatible with Heat Capacity, AC Susceptibility for DR, and Electrical Transport measurements
Adiabatic Demagnetization Refrigerator (ADR)
- World’s fastest <100 mK cryogenic refrigerator for PPMS & DynaCool
- From 300 K to <100 mK in <3 hours
- Holds temperature below 1.9 K for more than 2 hours
- Allows DC resistivity and Electrical Transport measurements
- 8 leads allow for measurements of two samples simultaneously
- Sample space: 23 mm diameter and 14 mm height
- Allows ultra-low temperature measurements with lower financial investment
- Measurements only in zero field
- PPMS Requirements: High vacuum and DC resistivity
Heat Capacity Option
- Completely automated relaxation technique from 1.9 - 400 K
- Integrated data acquisition electronics and analysis software
Thermal Transport Option
AC Resistivity ρ
- Measured by using precision DSP current source and phase-sensitive voltage detection (AC Transport).
Thermal Conductivity κ
- Measured by applying heat from the heater shoe in order to create a user-specified temperature differential between the two thermometer shoes.
Seebeck Coefficient α
- Measured by creating a specified temperature drop between the two thermometer shoes - just as it does to measure thermal conductivity. However, for Seebeck coefficient the voltage drop created between the thermometer shoes is also monitored.
Thermoelectric Figure of Merit ZT
- Determined here simply as the algebraic combination α2T /(κρ) of the three measured quantities - thermal conductivity, Seebeck coefficient, and AC electrical resistivity.
Vibrating Sample Magnetometer Option (VSM)
- RMS Sensitivity: < 10-6 emu with 1 sec averaging
- Optional VSM Oven up to 1000 K
Torque Magnetometry Option
- Measures the magnetic torque = mBsinθ
- Designed to measure moments of very small anisotropic samples
AC Susceptibility Option (ACMS II)
- AC Susceptibility
- Sensitivity: 1 x 10-8 emu
- Amplitude: 0.005 Oe – 15 Oe (peak)
- Frequency Range: 10 Hz – 10 KHz
- Direct phase nulling technique measures and cancels background AC phase shifts at every measurement
- DC Magnetization
- Sensitivity: 5 x 10-6 emu
AC Susceptibility Option for DR (ACDR)
- AC Susceptibility
- Drive Amplitude: 0.002 Oe – 4 Oe (peak)
- Sensitivity: 5x10-7 emu
- Phase Accuracy: 2°
- Frequency Range: 10 Hz to 10 kHz
- DC Field Range
- Temperature Range
- Choice of UV or IR Rod
- UV >90% transmittance 325 nm - 900 nm
- IR >90% transmittance 375 nm - 2250 nm
- Sample holder volume 2.68 mm3
- Moment Sensitivity <10-4 emu
- Choice of 150 W or 300 W light source
- Xenon Arc Lamp
- 10 position filter wheel
- 9 bandpass filters (436 nm, 470 nm, 500 nm, 530 nm, 555 nm, 585 nm, 640 nm, 740 nm, 850 nm)
DC Resistivity Option
- Four independent channels for performing DC resistivity
Electrical Transport Option (ETO)
- For performing AC Resistance, Hall Effect, I-V, and Differential Resistance (dV/dI vs. I) measurements.
- 1nV sensitivity, 10 nΩ resolution at 100 mA
- AC and DC drive amplitude 10 nA to 100 mA
- Resistance ranges from 10 µΩ to 5 GΩ
Horizontal & Vertical Sample Rotators
- Thermometer located on rotator platform.
- Precision, stepper controlled rotator.
- Direct axial ports to the sample stage are provided to install light pipes, fiber optic cables, microwave guides and/or extra electrical leads.
High Pressure Cell for Magnetometry
Introducing a novel, high pressure cell for magnetometry that allows easier sample insertion and removal without the need of an hydraulic press. This pressure cell, manufactured by HMD, comes in a complete kit that contains all the accessories you will need to aid in the characterization of your samples.
Benefits of the HMD Pressure Cell:
- All BeCu design for more uniform magnetic background
- No copper ring seal ensures easy sample removal
- All necessary accessories conveniently packaged
- Compatible with VSM transport
- No hydraulic press necessary
- Maximum Applied Pressure – 1.3 GPa
- Sample Space Diameter – 1.7 or 2.2 mm
- Sample Space Length – 7 mm max
- Cell Diameter – 8.5 mm
- Temperature Range – 1.8 to 400K
** Please Note: Requires VSM and Large Bore Coil Set **
Hydrostatic Pressure Cell for Electrical Measurements
Introducing a hydrostatic pressure cell for electrical measurements designed for use in all PPMS platform instruments (PPMS, DynaCool, VersaLab) . This pressure cell, manufactured by ElectroLab, is compatible with Quantum Design’s DC Resistivity, ACT and ETO measurement options.
Benefits of the ElectroLab Pressure Cell:
- Based on BeCu pressure cell technology
- Integrated external thermometer
- 10 sample leads (5 twisted pairs)
- Compatible with all QD PPMS platforms
- Manufactured by the leading supplier of hydrostatic pressure cells in Japan
- Several press sets also available
- Maximum Applied Load – 3.0 GPa
- Maximum Sample Pressure – 2.7 GPa
- Sample Space Diameter – 4.0 mm
- Sample Space Length – 6.0 mm max
- Temperature Range – 1.9 to 400K
NanOsc FMR Spectrometers
The CryoFMR spectrometer is a plug and play system that allows broadband CPW-FMR characterization with lock-in capability. It includes its own RF frequency source as well as lock-in detection module, so that the only parts required to conduct an experiment are a computer for software control and a PPMS platform. Temperature range: 4 K to 400 K. Frequency Range 2 to 17 GHz.
Measures relative expansion (dilation) and first derivative (coefficient of expansion) with respect to temperature and field, with sub-angstrom sensitivity. This is accomplished using a differential ratiometric capacitance bridge, operating at 2.340 kHz, which offers high sensitivity and dynamic range.